Monday, March 28, 2016

I'm Suffocating in Gossip

     Hey everyone! I'm still on my third book, Lord of The Flies by William Golding, but I'm progressing. Although I havn't been reading everyday like I'm supposed to, I've already read about half of the book and still have about one week before the deadline to finish it. For these past few weeks I've only been reading 15 minutes per week...Hopefully I will be able to make time to read and push through it by the end of this week. Also, I'm still looking for a good book off the AP list to read after I complete reading this one. It will probably won't be as difficult as Lord of The Flies is.
    While I was reading last week, there was this one quote that really stood out to me. Ralf was venturing out in the jungle when he realized that "he was surrounded on all sides by chasms of empty air"(150). He was frightened and wanted to hide. So basically, he was encircled by openings and fissures in the ground while exploring the jungle and having a feeling that something was watching him. I can totally relate to this in a figurative manner because when I was in sixth grade I hung out with some friends who were actually two-faced to me. They were my only "friends" that I had during that time. I felt devastated because no matter what I would do or where I would go, these "friends" would always be gossiping about me and leaving me out on purpose. In a way it seemed like I was always surrounded them and it was difficult to get through to the other side. They were the chasms blocking me from my freedom. Their gossip and attitude toward me was like the empty air  that I was suffocating in.
     I feel like the author used this quote mainly for imagery because of the situation Ralf was in. The syntax and diction in this quote made it more interesting because it was full of fear. I wonder if Golding knew that this specific text had two meanings because unfortunately, there are many people in this world who are victims of bullying that need to be able to breathe peace.
   

1 comment:

  1. Good reflections and analysis, Pamela! I really like the personal connection you made to Ralph's situation in the book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete